Your Winter Home Maintenance Checklist
Follow these easy maintenance tips to make sure your A&S home is winter-ready.
- Remove exterior sump pump hose and hoses from exterior faucets at temperatures below 0°C.
- Raise the downspout extension arm and connect via the flip-up strap.
- Remove ice and snow from concrete surfaces as soon as possible.
- Avoid using de-icing agents with damaging salts on your driveaway and doorsteps.
- Decorate safely for the holidays. Do not overload circuits or use worn extension cords.
- Adjust your humidistat to account for colder temperatures.
- Clean your HRV filters. Vacuum them first, and then wash with mild soap and water. Remember to change your furnace filter too.
- Remove window screens.
- Review instructions for safe operation of your fireplace. Ensure the fireplace screen is in place while in use.
Did you know?
Using salt on front doorsteps or driveways may keep you safe from accidents but can aid in deteriorating the top layer of your concrete. Using kitty litter or sand is a safe alternative for both your family and your concrete!
- If the exterior GFI outlet doesn’t seem to work, reset the breaker on the plug, and plug in a blow dryer or small appliance to see if the outlet is working. If it works, check your extension cord or block the heater for grounding.
- In extremely cold weather, if a prominent sewer gas smell develops in your home, you may have a plumbing stack on your roof covered with snow or ice, and you will need to clear it off.
- Deadbolts tend to freeze due to high humidity in the home. Lock de-icer will be helpful in this situation, so it’s a good idea to have it on hand in case you are “frozen out”.
Sending warm wishes!