This month, A&S Homes is celebrating 45 years of memories, and all the memories made in each A&S home. From first steps, to birthdays, to anniversaries, your home is the backdrop to so many life-changing memories. What else is key in the staging of a memory? Food.
A&S Homes is proudly family-run. We’re a close-knit bunch, and generation after generation agrees that our best memories together all revolve around one thing: home cooking.
Here’s one of our favourite family recipes to make and enjoy together:
Homemade gnocchi with herbed butter sauce
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced chives
- Salt and pepper
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold salted water, bring to a boil, and cook for 20-25 minutes (or until the potatoes are easily pierceable).
- Drain the potatoes and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skin from the potatoes. In a medium bowl, mash or rice the potatoes until all lumps are gone.
- Add the salt and mix well. Make a well in the center of the potatoes and crack an egg into it. Whisk the eggs briefly, then use your hands to gently combine with the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with 1 cup of flour, keeping the remaining ½ cup close by.
- Working quickly and carefully, knead the dough.
- Slice the dough into 4 parts. Roll out 1 part into a long rope, about 1-inch wide. Cut the rope in half if it becomes too long.
- Slice the rope into ½-inch squares and set aside on a lightly floured surface. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the gnocchi in batches, stirring gently to ensure they are not sticking together.
- Once they float to the surface, let them cook for another 15-30 seconds in the water, then remove.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add parsley and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the gnocchi to the pan and toss until lightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
We hope this recipe inspires you and your family to cook up amazing memories and delicious food in your own home. Become an A&S VIP for a chance to win a cooking class for two at De Luca’s, plus a gift basket including a coffee maker, fresh coffee beans, and a $50 gift card from De Luca’s grocery.