Halloween is just around the corner– the one time of year when cobwebs, bats, and spooky critters are actually welcome in your home! Pretend, of course.
Halloween is the perfect time to dress up, play pretend, and participate in a night that brings the whole neighbourhood together. What better way to celebrate than by inviting your friends, family, and neighbours over for a Halloween party!
Here are some fun, kid-friendly crafts and recipes that are sure to make your Halloween party a hit!
This oozey green goo is a hands-on craft that your kids will love.
To make this Halloween slime, you’ll need:
- 6 oz. green Elmer’s glue. If you can’t find the green version, you can add green food colouring to white glue.
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tbsp. contact lens solution.
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 package of googly eyes
- Pour 6 oz of your Elmer’s glue into one large bowl.
- Add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda and 2 tbsp. of water and mix thoroughly.
- Add the contact lens solution. Adults should do this part. Note: your contact lens solution should contain boric acid, this is what makes the slime form.
- Once your slime has formed, mix in the googly eyes.
Scary good desserts!
On Halloween, it’s okay to play with your food! These “worms in dirt” pudding cups are fun, delicious, and super simple to make.
To make this (gummy) worm filled chocolate pudding, you’ll need:
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) chocolate flavoured instant pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed
- 15 Oreo Cookies, finely crushed
- 1 package of gummy worms
- Add pudding mix and milk to a large bowl and whisk for 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in Cool Whip and ½ a cup of cookie crumbs.
- Spoon into 10 (6- to 7-oz.) clear plastic cups and top with remaining cookie crumbs.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour; top with gummy worms before serving.
Halloween hot cocoa!
This ghostly hot cocoa is the perfect way to warm up after trick-or-treating.
To make this ghoulish white hot chocolate, you’ll need:
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup (8 oz.) chopped white chocolate or white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, white chocolate, vanilla, and salt over medium-low heat.
- Whisk frequently until the chocolate is completely melted, do not let the mixture come to a boil.
- Pour into mugs and serve with marshmallows or whipped cream and white chocolate shavings (or all three, it’s Halloween after all).
How do you decorate your home for Halloween? Share pictures or videos of your Halloween decor on Instagram for a chance to win the ultimate fall gift basket with our Treat or Treat Contest! Make sure to tag @aandshomes and use #AandSContest.
Treat or Treat? That’s right, no tricks here. The runner-up will receive a milk chocolate pumpkin from Mordens’ of Winnipeg.
Speaking of photos, this month, we’re giving away an Instax Mini 9 camera package to one lucky A&S Homes VIP. This easy-to-use camera will capture and print all your Halloween memories with the click of a button! Sign-up to become a VIP today and the Instax Mini 9 could be yours.